Building DIY Gardening

01 Oct, 2009

Albert Bridge London closed 2010-2011

Posted by: Geoff Davis In: architecture|Bridges|Planning|Roads

Albert Bridge London 2009

Albert Bridge London 2009

This will disrupt the usually just about OK traffic around south and central London. Traffic will be diverted to Chelsea and Battersea bridges.

These are in the order CAB going upriver (towards the west – Chelsea, Albert, Battersea bridges – Battersea is the small one with lanterns and no fancy superstructure). Then WPH (Wandsworth, Putney, Hammersmith bridges). After that you talk to the ducks.

This is remembered as CAB MPH (ie cab, taxi, miles per hour) as you then upend the M to a W for Wandsworth…

I suppose they are doing it before the Olympics. It is closed January 2009 until summer 2011 (or so they say now!).

It needs strengthening as it is getting a bit past it.

Albert Bridge is run by Kensington and Chelsea Council.

Pedestrians will be able to cross but no traffic. No news on bicycles.

Albert Bridge was opened in 1873. Was Listed (saved from being turned into bedsits) in 1969.

9 Responses to "Albert Bridge London closed 2010-2011"

1 | Emma

December 14th, 2009 at 7:13 am

This is ridiculous. Battersea Residents are now being restricted even more in their movements. If the bridge has to be strengthened, then fair enough .. but in that case the least the Mayor could do is scrap the Western Extension of the Congestion charge area …

We are practically prisoners and with the traffic getting worse its just getting beyond a joke.

2 | Elise

January 17th, 2010 at 1:03 pm

Great, even more smelly cars congesting Battersea Bridge and disturbing the residents’ peace 24/7. Can’t wait. I also agree with Emma’s comments, particularly the one relating to the congestion charge. In addition to this, I feel that residents living close to the bridge should be given some leeway with the charge, considering we’re living a mere few minutes outside of the zone. Meanwhile, the majority of the heavy traffic is coming from further beyond the borough and turning Battersea into a drive-thru.

3 | Peter

February 8th, 2010 at 10:36 am

It is embarrassing that a nation that has built bridges all over the world needs 18 months to restore one. Our neighbouring country France is able to build a brand new state of the art bridge with the same amount of time.
As a Battersea Park local I also agree with Emma’s comments on the feeling of imprisonment.
What are Wandsworth Council doing about this?

4 | Judy Jackson

February 9th, 2010 at 2:40 pm

I cannot beleave Albert Bridge is closing for 18 MONTHS. Living in Battersea, this is going to cut us off from the North side of the Thames. Some years ago, Battersea Bridge closed as a tug crashed into it, this caused chaos. Why does it have to close for “Painting” it’s always been painted with out closeure. 18 Months is unbeleavable. Do you realise how much traffic crosses these bridges?? My husband works in the north side, therefore has to cross the bridge every day. All I can say is the air will turn blue, with anger from the cars trying to get accross.

5 | alex

February 12th, 2010 at 5:27 pm

Emma and Elise

what are you talking about? you are moaning about too many cars yet you want the congestion charge scrapped? do your sums ladies…

6 | Nicholas

February 21st, 2010 at 8:18 pm

20:15 Sunday 21st February 2010. Due the closure of Albert Bridge it has just taken me over an hour to drive from Chelsea to Prince of Wales (Battersea Park) – a distance of about a mile. The main approach roads and side roads leading to both Battersea and Chelsea Bridges are completely solid with queues of traffic. And this is mid-Sunday evening remember – a day when Congestion Charges do not apply so congestion was partially eased by drivers circumnavigating the queues through Chelsea back streets. Although the necessity of strengthening/updating work to Albert Bridge is understandable, I do question why the bridge needs to be totally closed to traffic for 18 months. There has been limited information released by Kensington and Chelsea Council/ TFL about the exact nature and timetable of these refurbishment works so it is obviously difficult for the public to sympathise with, or even understand, the full reasons for such a very lengthy closure to this important river crossing. The emerging situation will inevitably lead to a good deal of public frustration and annoyance. The painting/lighting and cosmetic work could at least surely be done with the bridge in use, or part use, even if it meant limiting traffic in one direction? Given this is public money and public inconvenience I suggest there should have been greater transparency and accountability on the part of the authorities concerned. Did our public servants and democratically elected representative seek a public consultation on the matter?

7 | Kev.

March 8th, 2010 at 9:44 am

On top of this they close Hammersmith Bridge at the weekends AND they are replacing the Victorian water pipes on Prince Of Wales Drive (surely some of this can wait until Albert Bridge is re-opened? Such bad planning). So now I have no where to park and can’t drive anywhere.

I live on Prince Of Wales Drive and Work in Uxbridge (near enough). Public transport would take over an hour and a half and cost £180 per month, so this is not an option. Driving SHOULD take me 35-40mins but at the moment is well over an hour as it takes me half an hour to edge my way onto Battersea Bridge Road then crawl across the bridge as if I was trying to sneak into Chelsea.
I have put in my pre-order for a hover board and I expect one to be delivered as soon as it is invented. I will forward the invoice to the council.

8 | Verzek Atuto

January 24th, 2011 at 3:47 am

Good text, I like it.

9 | Hazel spencer

October 5th, 2011 at 8:00 am

I work on Queenstown road, driving in is the cheapest option for me, coming in from the Medway. The extra time I have had sitting in traffic has given me the chance to workout that I have so far lost 3 days in jams cause by the closure. It is already past the 18 month Mark and looking like it will still be closed after 24 months.

Comment Form

Building a website - beginners

Contact & About us

Terms & conditions & Privacy

Sitemap & quick links

BLOG CATEGORIES

About

Please comment on these blogs. The Flickr feed is now random, but soon to be our own photos.